Request Records from the Department of State

Before making a request, first see if the information you are looking for is already publicly available.

If the information you want is not publicly available, you may request information through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), or the Privacy Act, or Mandatory Declassification Review (MDR).

Before you make your request:

  1. Review this website to make sure you request records the right way from the right place.
  2. Plan to request only the specific records you need. We can answer precise requests much faster.
  3. Review all information for accuracy prior to submitting your request. Duplicate requests for the same information may lengthen response times.

Online Request
Register to create an online profile and Request records online using the Public Access Link (PAL) portal.

Requesting Passport Records
If you would like a copy of your Passport Records, you can request them directly from the Office of Passport Services without having to file a FOIA request. Please visit Obtain Copies of Passport Records.

Requesting Office of the Inspector General Records
If you would like to make a FOIA request for records maintained by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), please go to Office of the Inspector General Freedom of Information Act.

Amending Your Records Request
If you have already submitted your request and wish to correct it, you can email FOIARequest@state.gov, fax to (202) 485-1669, or write to Office of Information Programs and Services, A/GIS/IPS/RL, 2201 C Street, N.W., Suite B266, Washington, D.C. 20520-0000. Please note that you are amending your request when providing additional information. Please provide your case number in any communication regarding your request.

To help you to identify the correct agency to contact for the records you seek, visit USA.gov for a breakdown of federal agencies by topic.

Helpful Information for Making a Proper Request

More Information